The winners of the 5th Vietnam International Choir Competition have been announced.
Organised by INTERKULTUR, the biannual competition ran from 7-11 June 2017 in Hội An, Vietnam. Choirs from around the world competed across a range of categories with category winners – selected by an international jury – competing for the overall Hội An Choir Prize 2017. There was also a number of Friendship Concerts in which participating choirs were able to perform together.
Altogether, the jury awarded 29 Golden and 18 Silver Diplomas to contestants with the Hội An Choir Prize 2017 going to La Salle Chorale from the Philippines.
Category winners were as follows:
- Category A3 – Female Choirs – Level of difficulty I with compulsory piece: Malaysian Institute of Art’s Ladies Chorus (Malaysia) conducted by Susanna Saw
- Category B1 – Mixed Choirs – Level of difficulty II without compulsory piece: La Salle Chorale (Philippines) conducted by Serry Repique
- Category B3 – Female Choirs – Level of difficulty II without compulsory piece: La Fontana (Japan) conducted by Takafumi Kikumura
- Category C2 – Chamber Choirs of mixed voices: The Graduate Singers (Singapore) conducted by Mohamed Adyll Hardy Bin Mohamed Yusoff
- Category G1 – Children’s Choirs: Korean Children’s Choir of Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) conducted by Tran Nhat Minh
- Category G2 – Youth Choirs of equal voices: Singapore Chinese Girls’ School (Singapore) conducted by Angela Goh
- Category G3 – Mixed Youth Choirs: Raffles Chorale (Singapore) conducted by Ban Shen Toh
- Category S – Sacred Choir Music: Raffles Chorale (Singapore) conducted by Ban Shen Toh
- Category F – Folklore: La Salle Chorale (Philippines) conducted by Serry Repique
Header photo: 2017 Hội An Choir Prize-winners, La Salle Chorale